Cartographer User Profile

I would love to see user profiles for cartographers - developed on top of foam map, so that we can build reputation through track record of POIs created, voted, challenged.etc, and signaling. Any suggestions?

This makes sense to me @Regan. Great idea. I’d be interested to hear you and @eroxors discuss this. He sprung to mind when I read your post.

Thanks Kilo. I already see some great discussions happening here.

This would be pretty cool indeed, this would definitely be interesting to see on the FOAM Map, what does everyone else think? Would love to collect some more thoughts on this so I can share more ideas to the team and see if it can be implemented!

Anything that increases cartographer engagement could be beneficial. This would do that and it would also enhance/add a mechanism that helps with ground verification and communication when challenges occur. It could be a major feature.

SupaDupa hell of an idea!
Love it!
I was really really engaged into google maps Local Guides project… right before to discover FOAM obviously :wink:
Can’t wait to see a decentralized fully tokenized approach to it, and if FOAM can create some kind of cartographer profile would be indeed a great idea.
Some points about this:

• Until now cartographers on FOAM were anonymous, I think voting on this should be a starting point, at least giving cartographers the right to choose if they want their name linked to any kind of parameters (e.g. I’m willing to be tagged as cartographer, but I’m not really sure I want to be attached to a certain POI)
  • reputation is foundamental for what we do here, but right now the backbone is already pegged to challenging other POIs or validating… So we maybe need other usecases to have new setpoints to build a more complex reputation system
  • to me, having displayed the number of my votes, challenges or POIs is a YES, having displayed publicly the number of dismissed votes is a NO, because the community can tell everything democratically, but the right to be on one side should not be public (e.g. many political challenges -> korea area)
  • to me, this reputation system layer seems like a new layer to build up on FOAM… something that is beyond FOAM backend, maybe a completely different (and overlapped) service. Good, but somebody should build it upon FOAM —

Hey @ntotao ! Loving the suggestions you’ve made!

• publicly the number of dismissed votes is a NO, because the community can tell everything democratically, but the right to be on one side should not be public (e.g. many political challenges -> korea area)

Could you elaborate more on this part? Did you mean that you’re against displaying the amount in a vote/how many times you’ve voted against a challenge?

I agree 100% @ntotao. Good thinking. It must be “opt in” only and as much customization within the feature as possible.

You are right, let’s define better:
Yes, I’m against displaying the quantitative number of support/unsupport in a challenge using votes, because I think reputation should be just qualitative (amount of activity) and not quantitative (number of YES/NO votes).
For what I know voting in a challenge is 1 vote for each account, but as soon as the unveiling vote finilize I get a reward if I’m on the right side (democratic). This vote unveiling remain anonymous right? That’s why the SALT code is there? Or I misunderstood something?

I agree with you there! Some would argue that having part of their Eth addresses being shown is more than enough of their identities that they are willing to share so would definitely only be opt in for a feature such as this.

Interesting angle to consider, this would equate to building a reputation system into FOAM that takes into consideration :

1. Amount of Interactions of a User with the FOAM Map (Voting events or etc)
  2. Amount of FOAM used

I do like the idea of this!

Yes, in a way SALT is a unique cryptographic fingerprint of your information, committed votes are concealed using a salted hash of (1) the user’s vote option and (2) a random number

You can check this out for more reading on Voting Mechanisms that we have implemented in FOAM