Challenges Ending On 2nd May

I suspect the cartographers staking a high number might be impatient to achieve POU.

https://map.foam.space/#/dashboard/0x098b3ea21c43e0125a7e78b413a80c9934c86ff91f1e38e1fe14b64819e93f44/?lng=103.8546110&lat=1.2944050&zoom=12.00

Another bullshit challenge … “POI a bit off from the main Raffles Hotel Building”. The POI is placed near to the driveway of the hotel, but certainly still within the compound of the hotel. For your reference, Raffles Hotel takes up the entire block surrounded by Beach Road, Seah Street, Bras Basah Road and North Bridge Road.

I can’t tell what’s bullshit and what is caused by the Mapbox overlay. The overlay suggests that the POI is indeed off.

For me, a few of the issues we are seeing (by no means all) are caused by the problem of reinventing the wheel. The map we are trying to create is being verified by maps that already exist–and one of those maps is visible in the FOAM interface. Feels like a wasted effort.

Important to keep in mind the goal to have on chain geospatial data that can be used by applications and smart contracts. We see the Blockcities NFT hunt doing this. It is problematic for a web 3 app to hook into off chain data.

From the digest…

In my opinion, Wentworth Falls and The Hanging Bat are being challenged groundlessly.

I looked up the hanging bat, and it’s not on the wrong side of the street.
The challenge text is convincing, i don’t think this is the challenger’s first scam rodeo :racehorse:. Hats off the them but I hope they go away.

I don’t think a waterfall needs a phone number, but this is 2019 so what do I know. I do know that the challenger has “promised to replace”. If I had a POI every time i heard that line :laughing:

Dunno anything about any overlay. But I am telling you I know the place. The Raffles Hotel POI is valid. This is similar to the a metalwork complex POI that got challenged cause it was placed on the carpark instead of the main building.

I would be a lot more inclined to believe in the good intentions of a challenger if the amount is only 50 or 100. Otherwise, as a rule, I vote to protect the POIs.

I’ve voted to keep raffles hotel :muscle:

I’m with you there :clinking_glasses:

I would be a lot more inclined to believe in the good intentions of a challenger if the amount is only 50 or 100. Otherwise, as a rule, I vote to protect the POIs.

@N_O_O_B: I strongly disagree with your reasoning here. You should be voting based on whether or not the POI is correct, not based on the stake and your sense of whether or not the challenger is a good person.

Important to keep in mind the goal to have on chain geospatial data that can be used by applications and smart contracts.

Yes. I just like the idea of a bulk import from OSM, along with the development of an upgrade/improvement path.

I think it’s important for everyone to understand that there are things that we can and should do without the core FOAM team. We can vote to adjust the parameters of the map, like this

We are planning to discuss topics like this on the next Community Workshop Call on May 9th (please go vote on a time for that meeting so we know when you can join). We can also discuss registry contract improvement proposals, ways to fund community efforts, and then potentially put some of these smart contract upgrades out on Gitcoin or Bounties for development. These are the main topics of the next workshop call.

The core FOAM team is currently extremely busy trying to launch dPoL, and pointing at them to fix everything is unfair and unreasonable.

100%. dPoL is what is truly innovative about the FOAM project–eyes on the prize.

One way or another, the POI system will get worked out.

On a more personal note, I’d like to include one of my POIs in this discussion that has been challenged- Old Faithful.

https://map.foam.space/#/dashboard/0xb9bf0a411ba8b5ebf713f7316ee14ff157832042a9b9fb5f8b2458a11a3d5da3/?lng=-110.8287134&lat=44.4586720&zoom=16.10

The challenger is asserting that it is not in the correct location, which is wrong. This is exactly where the geyser sits. I know this because I’ve been there. You can see how the hotels and roads curve around this focal point.

Please help keep this POI on the map as well. Thank you all!

Thanks @nameloceroom – voted to keep!

Edit: This is a completely malicious challenge. Check out the google maps overlay. Let’s keep old faithful!

If we keep OF, maybe it can make the news as the first POI to kill someone who unthinkingly navigates to it in their autonomous vehicle. :skull_and_crossbones:

Interesting, I was thinking along the same lines today!

If I remember well, foam.space had a significant token reserve put aside. This could be leased to trusted (that is “trusted by foam.space”) cartographers - via smart contracts controlled by foam.space - to perform useful work, like fending off greedy trolls. Smart contract would allow voting with the entrusted tokens, but nothing else. Part of the gains could be allocated as effort compensation for the “driver”.

It’s not ideal, having all the usual pitfalls of great power and great responsibility; but perhaps can be used in these early not-so-decentralised days to overcome some excesses.

I think what you’re talking about has also been written about under the terms “liquid democracy” or “delegative democracy”. It’s also conceptually similar to delegated proof of stake / proxy staking.

This is centralization, plain and simple. Just go use Google Maps in that case.

Yes, it is. The reserve is centralized already, what did you expect to happen with it - faucets, airdrops and burns? It’s there for course correction.