Challenges Ending On 2nd May

cool. Thanks for the clarification. Good to have you on the forum

Reminds me of this list: Falsehoods Programmers Believe about addresses

Addressing is a fertile ground for incorrect assumptions, because everyone’s used to dealing with addresses and 99% of the time they seem so simple. Below are some incorrect assumptions I’ve seen made, or made myself, or had reported to me.

Very relevant article. Not only is Google Maps and OSM full of errors but all kinds of maps are. The FOAM protocol has been launched towards building a consensus driven map, and the mechanisms are now being tested. Mechanisms can be altered and or upgraded, but having token based mechanisms in place in the first place is the advancement over how this kind of data is governed and maintained today.

What is a place? What is its center? What best represents it? There are several different possible “centers” of Pretoria. There’s the zoological park. There’s Africa’s biggest mall. There are multiple government buildings that have served as political centers over South Africa’s long complicated history. There’s the Palace of Justice in Church Square, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned. There are the Union Buildings, with the famous statue of Nelson Mandela, his arms upraised, which serves as the seat of the South African government. John and Ann’s backyard is in a suburb north of the city center, and it’s unclear how US military NGA’s cartographers decided it was a key location. It was a weighty, if apparently random, decision.

“I think it’s quite irresponsible,” said Ann. “You would imagine they would survey or do some kind of investigation before putting that beacon there.”

“Which basically means I’ve just put the crosshairs of the US military on oom Paul’s forehead, surely one of the greatest achievements of my life,” wrote John’s lawyer in an email, referring to a controversial statue in the square that commemorates Paul Kruger, an Afrikaner political leader from the late 1800s who fought the British and was part of a long line of South African leaders who oppressed the country’s black citizens. (“Oom” means “uncle.”)

Companies who use the US government database to display a location are supposed to tell their users that the point on a map is actually a large blob on a map.

And that’s the problem, really. John and Ann’s problems weren’t necessarily caused by one bad actor, but by the interaction of a bunch of careless decisions that cascaded through a series of databases. The NGA provides a free database with no regulations on its use. MaxMind takes some coordinates from that database and slaps IP addresses on them. Then IP mapping sites, as well as phone carriers offering “find my phone” services, display those coordinates on maps as distinct and exact locations, ignoring the “accuracy radius” that is supposed to accompany them.

Agreed and also have often experienced errors and inaccuracies on Google Maps. The Ethos of Open Street Map is “ground truthing” meaning only adding to the map when you have been to the place. This is why the community is against importing governmental databases or any machine acquired data. Although, this can not be enforced/

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ground_truth

In the future the TCR can adopt to restrict voting based off of Presence Claims, for example you can only vote on a challenge in Singapore if you can prove you have been there within the last 6 months.

Great list, thanks for sharing @yinzeus