Cool clouds challenge

to the challenger:

anyone should be able to use the map how they want to use the map as long as the information is not clearly false and the POI does not hurt the map.

to the voters:

if you support the challenger, please let me know why.

Thanks, yepyep

I support the challenger and here is why.

The FOAM Map will only be as useful as the data that it contains. Data that can be used by other applications built on top off and referencing the information contained in the map. I feel (and this is just my opinion) that the point cool clouds placed does not provide useful information.

This does not take away anyone’s right to place a POI on the map for any reason. as you state. “Anyone should be able to use the map how they want to use the map as long the information is not clearly false and the POI does not hurt the map”

But by placing a POI on the map you by definition are inviting the community via the challenge framework to offer a different perspective.

thank you for your response.

i agree with you. the FOAM map will only be as useful as the data it contains.

currently there isnt too much data being added to the FOAM map, some days nothing at all. the data that is on the FOAM map is data that pretty much can be found on any other map.

i think its important that the FOAM map has unique data, not just POIs that can be verified by other maps.

will the POI Cool Clouds ever be useful to any application or anyone besides me, probably not.

however, saying you dont support a POI because the data wont be used by other applications isnt a valid point in my opinion. no one knows the range of what type of applications will be built on FOAM yet.

but discouraging people from adding unique data POIs might also discourage someone from coming up with a new application.

my general stance on POIs is that anything is fine as long as it doesnt hurt the map. i understand how this POI is currently not useful at all, but i cant really understand how this POI is currently hurting the map.

This is related to this previous thread, where a point for a “panoramic view” from a bench was challenged- Lyon - panoramic view

I am a supporter of the map containing points representing subjective information, like a nice view. However, one important difference with the “cool clouds” point is that the object or experience is highly transient in nature. The cool clouds may have only lasted for a few minutes - does this mean it deserves a place on the map? I don’t have an answer.

I think over the long-term, it may make sense to create tags or categories for permanent points vs. transient, physical structures vs. experiences, etc. I think it’s valuable for the map to contain an abundance of data types (beyond the static points we are used to in Google Maps, OSM, etc.), but they should be segmented and organized efficiently.