FOAM ETH Berlin / ETH Boston Recap

Hi all! I’m Jess and I’m stoked to have recently joined FOAM and to help on Community and Growth. I hail from MakerDAO where I was one of the first non dev hires to come on back at the launch of Dai in Dec 2017.

I have already had an amazing experience seeing FOAM growth within my first few weeks. FOAM has had some super cool and useful hacks from some super cool teams through out my initiation into FOAM and this post is to share the amazing experience seeing FOAM growth within my first few weeks.

I will be hosting a community call next Thursday at 12pm ET with some exciting guest stars soon to be announced. Stay tuned and check out the FOAM progress in the meantime!

Let me reiterate about the greatness of the winning FOAM hacks to come from both Gnosis at ETH Berlin Hackathon (https://ethberlinzwei.com/) as well as Uniswap at ETH Boston (https://eth.boston/).

Mapcovery

The management of long and cryptic private keys is an unsolved user experience problem in the blockchain ecosystem. Mnemonics are too hard to remember and social recovery is not really a solution, either you are not sure about who to trust or you really want to put the burden on friends/family. Current key recovery solutions are either way less secure or less convenient than they could be.

Mapcovery is an innovative solution that allows users to recover their Gnosis Safe Wallet by memorizing Five Points of Interest from the FOAM Map. Inspired by “Memory Palace”, which involves making a journey through a place you know well to store mnemonic images, locations are easy to remember. This is a very impressive project and example of an application that requires PoI data as well as would benefit from further points, driving demand.

Mapcovery was built during ETH Berlin by the Gnosis Safe team and was the winner of the Grand Prize.

Accomplishments that the team is proud of
- Finding another possible recovery method for smart contract wallets.
- Finding a method that is relatively easy to remember but still provides enough security.
- Solving for front-running through elegant smart-contract design.

What the team learned
- How FOAM really works incl. their APIs and why it is needed.
- What ways of storing location data exist out there incl. their advantages and disadvantages.
- How modules work with the Gnosis Safe
- How to design and build prototypes with Adobe XD.
- How hacking is enhanced when techno music is blasting through Factory the entire day.

How to try it out
- Download the Gnosis Safe version we adjusted (running on Rinkeby)
- Create a Safe
- Download Mapcovery
- Follow the steps in the Mapcovery app:
- Connect to the Safe for which you want to setup the recovery via WalletConnect
- Select 5 locations
- Press “next”
- Select “Setup recovery for Safe”
- Follow the steps in the Gnosis Safe app to finish setup
- Reset the Gnosis Safe app (or remove the created Safe)
- Use the Mapcovery app or our web app to trigger the recovery
- (App only) Connect to a wallet to interact with the recovery module
- Select 5 locations
- Follow the instructions
- The new recovery phrase that is displayed can be used to recover the Safe

A full presentation about the application can be found:

Video Demo:

Decentralized Restaurant Review Threads on FOAM Map

This project is built with 3Box messaging threads and the FOAM Map as the first step towards restaurant views on FOAM and a decentralized replacement to services such as Yelp. Built during ETH Boston, the submission comes from Ian Lapham, engineer at Uniswap.

Outline

Using the Foam map api and the 3box.js framework decentralized chat threads was built that sits on top of the Foam map. User’s need to login with a web3 account (Metamask is the only one that’s been tested, on Chrome as well). Once they are are logged in they can see a general thread for the whole map. If they browse around the map of New York they will see restaurants labeled by title (using the Foam api). Users can click on any restaurant to open the 3box chat. They are automatically generated a 3box account using their Metamask wallet address. Users can read previous messages and add messages of their own.

Motivation

Foam provides great tools encoring real-world location data on Ethereum. This is a step in the right direction towards decentralized mappings of our environments. Foam is a perfect starting point for dashboards and networks for decentralized curation and ratings. 3box.js gives more tools for decentralized reputation monitoring and P2P threads. By combining these we can get a sense of what a Dapp would look like where users can provide feedback in a more p2p way than exists on web2.0.

Next Steps
This application is intended to be used as a demo. It shows that with minimal development work we can already create decentralized threads that can be used to review restaurants around New York. More features are required to make an application like this scalable and secure:

• Better reputation systems : need a way to prevent spam and identify which users are reporting true information
  • Moderation system : need a way to consume posted data and filter based on what users find most valuable
  • UX : obviously one thread per restaurant would get pretty crowded pretty quick. We need better UX on the message threads to display recent information, most valuable comments, and profile information

Video demo and Github documentation can be seen below:

Welcome Jess!

WOW ~ Amazing first post. Threads is an excellent idea and fits so naturally. Mapcovery - brilliant.

Hi Jess! Great to have you here. :smile:

Thanks for that info about those two, super cool projects. Mapcovery and Thread reviews are both practical and exciting projects. Congratulations to the teams.

I’m happy to host either of the teams on my podcast if/when they want to talk about their work.

Best wishes for a smooth transition into your new role. Sounds like you’re already running hard and kicking goals. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you here in Australia.

Welcome, Jess! Thanks for adding additional color to these projects.

Glad to have you on board Jess. Looking forward to helping this community grow.