Marketing the Map

This is a thread for ideas to assist in marketing.

Effective marketing delivers ideas in quick, easy to understand and retainable concepts.

The quickest, easiest to grasp and most memorable way to describe FOAM, in my opinion is…

Smart Map.

I know it lacks nuance. But I think it executes the marketing brief. Your thoughts?

For the next level of introduction, to get to know FOAM a little better, I would describe the difference between FOAM and OSM simply. Like this…

The difference between Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Maps and FOAM is incentive.

The cryptocurrency in FOAM provides incentive for good behaviour and punishment for bad behaviour.

FOSS is a powerful vehicle.
FOAM is a powerful vehicle with a steering wheel.

Cool Ideas Kilo! Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Personally speaking, when I hear the term “Smart” I would think something that can function fully on it’s own, but when it comes to FOAM, one of the unique aspects of the FOAM Map is allowing cartographers to come together and curate the map, so using the term “Smart” would not give it justice.

I do understand where you’re coming from tho! Marketing needs to be simple and understandable for any solution. Something we need to work with on FOAM,I would love to hear more thoughts on this and any marketing Ideas the community has!

Yeah, fair enough. I see your point; it isn’t fully robotic, it has substantial human engagement.

The “smart” references “smart contracts” though which is a powerful feature differentiating it from inanimate digital maps 1.0 (google, apple).

Let’s keep thinking of more ways to quickly and concisely explain FOAM in relatable terms as people flick past it online or hear about it in conversation. Looking forward to a lot of engagement here.

The term “smart phone” is also a relatable term now, it isn’t scary anymore. Smart phones still is require human engagement but most people are of the opinion smart phones are good things that help improve their lives.

Categorization for communication is more art than science.

More emotion than logic.

It can feel blasphemous to a scientist. It’s neither pretty nor exact but it helps human brains understand. We need more of it in Web 3.0.

Marketing is a big adoption play.

Got what you mean! In my mind it was mostly Smart Cities and not smart phones or smart contracts admittedly.

Yeah Marketing is definitely a big play we need to consider.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I’ve heard Decentralized … quite a few times before. It would be cool to hear thoughts on what the community thinks of FOAM and how you would explain it to someone, a friend or even a stranger!

1. Smart Maps
  2. Decentralized GPS
  3. Decentralized Maps

FOAM; a decentralised, incentivised blockchain based geolocation system, map and network.

Ack, it’s so wordy. I want a URL shortener for my description. Wish bit.ly could shorten explainers.

Can anyone help shorten this word salad?

Actually, we can’t say decentralised yet.

This is a mash-up from the FOAM homepage:

A permissionless, incentivised, autonomous network of radio beacons providing geolocation services without GPS.

@Ryan_foam am I correct that a secondary benefit of FOAM is that it will provide an alternative time synchronization mechanism for global business should a colossal event (man=made or natural) happen to disable GPS? We write on these forums about FOAM working as proof of location but is it not also running a decentralised world clock that business can rely upon?

Is correct to say FOAM is (or rather “aims to”) offer the full PNT (positioning, navigation and timing) suit of services?

Furthermore, is it also correct to assume that FOAM might be able to assist in more accurate weather prediction once data from independent sensors are collected and verified using FOAM?

Hm, maybe I should save up all these questions and just have FOAM on my podcast. :wink:

I’m by no means a marketer and have taken all but 2 minutes to read this post so my 2 cents may be worth even less. When it comes to catch-phrase, my take is that the advantage/outcome of features be defined not the feature itself - in other words, the “end” and not the “means.” “Decentralized” is a means not an end. “Incentivized map” is a means not an end. GPS-alternative is a means and not an end. The end for a decentralization are un-censorability and un-gamability. The end for an “incentivized map” is a dynamically accurate map. The end for a GPS alternate is privacy-preserving, relative urban/metro-area accuracy and un-spoofability…

Yes! Stupendous. Marketing should focus on the “end” not the “means”. Brilliant. Thank you.