Signaling is Now Live

Signaling has gone live on the Ethereum MainNet.

Last week we received the security audit of the smart contracts for new FOAM Map feature, Signaling, was completed. The audit can be read here. There were no major security issues found, only minor suggestions that have been implemented.

To use it, visit: http://map.foam.space/

Read a full announcement, including a step-by-step guide here:

We are looking forward to your feedback and comments.

Its only been a few hours since we launched Signaling on the Ethereum Mainnet but there’s already been Signals launched all across the world! :globe_with_meridians::satellite:

Im taking the time to share a few screenshots to commemorate our Cartographers who have already set up those Signals ! :tada:

New York :statue_of_liberty:

Moscow :ru:

Amsterdam :netherlands:

San Francisco :us:

Berlin :de:

Vietnam :slight_smile:

love it.

ready for radios there

New York looking good! :statue_of_liberty: :satellite:

Is there actually a reason to go for a lot of small radius signals rather than one big one?

The signal weight is defined by three components: radius, token stake and age.

The radius defines the area of coverage you want your Signal to affect, but the token stake effects attenuation. This means you can signal in a small area with a lot of tokens to have a very densely weighted signal, or choose a larger radius with the same amount of tokens to spread out the impact of the staked tokens.

This is visualized in the current stage of the UI by opacity of the radius. The more staked the more filled in and intense the circle appears. It is like adding color dye to water. The container of the water determines the radius and the amount of die influences the strength of the “signal”. If the container (radius) was made larger without adding more dye the “signal” would be weaker but cover more area.

Thanks @Ryan_foam, good explanation!

Those NY points up the middle and around the park were my doing. I made one large signal that covered Manhattan, and a lot of smaller ones at spacial intervals. I went down either side of the island too. Each was wide enough to reach across the water and to the signals in the center of the island. I was keeping in mind triangulation. Signal centers need to be inside the circumference of other signals. The smaller ones, I imagined, would work more as local PoL signalers.

I did this in Stockholm too, where I live, with the thought that it will eventually be used for boats navigating Stockholms waters.

I think it will be very interesting to see how the Signaling value changes over time. Since age is a component of valuation, early signals could be worth significantly more to miners than future even highly staked "New Signals’.

I agree that triangulation is an important factor. Thus small radius Signals are an incentive to deploy to that zone, with the result that areas and surrounding locals can quickly be blanketed by interested parties.

Suggestion - perhaps a toggle to allow all signals to show up fully expanded. At the moment, you can see the yellow dot and expand only one at a time. If you wanted to see a fuller measure of all the signals and such - being able to toggle this fully expanded may help.

Good point and agree. Having the radius’s display properly turned out to be more of a challenge than expected and it is more difficult to show multiple at the same time.

We are looking into additionally visualization strategies, as well as started work utilizing deck.gl you can see the preview in one of the Signaling posts https://blog.foam.space/signaling-on-foam-91626d858328