What do you think is the CryptoKitty moment for FOAM use?

Cool shout out on FOAM in this article!

FOAM — People like staking real life geo-location points on an interactive digital map! Remember how fun Google Earth was? While we are inherently fascinated with our real world (Pokemon Go) and the planet we live on, what fascinates each of us so much about it through Web3?

We want to hear from the community on this!
Share your thoughts on the growing Web 3.0 ecosystem and how you think FOAM will play a role in it!

What do you think is the CryptoKitty moment for FOAM use?

Rent land, Stake tokens to secure that land, and the land is used as a space to post relevant news about that area (could be used for anything else as well… you must have already seen infiniverse where you rent land and post 3D models to an augmented reality layer… instead of that your tiny section of land is staked to have a voice in your local area. It’s not Cryptokitties but it could be a gold rush… where you rent land in hopes there is hidden virtual gold OR FOAM hid extra Foam tokens in certain areas and you stake on an area in hopes to discover additoinal FOAM??? IDK just brainstorming).

It’s not Cryptokitties but it could be a gold rush… where you rent land in hopes there is hidden virtual gold OR FOAM hid extra Foam tokens in certain areas and you stake on an area in hopes to discover additoinal FOAM

Cool idea!

This idea can also be expanded into something like a GeoCaching game where we can put this NFT that lives in this Point and Space and you have to walk somewhere to get it.

Ilya mentioned this in the Community Call too!

This likely wouldn’t command cryptokitties level excitement (though I believe these days they rarely break 500 daily active users), but it’s something I’ve thought a bit about and could be useful. Basically I’m thinking of a digital lockbox that’s tied to physical space. I haven’t dug super deep into what FOAM allows on the back end, but I imagine you could create a set of keys that only work when you have a device inside of the boundaries of your lockbox. Your lockbox could be your home, or your office within your place of work, or a private location somewhere remote. Data is encrypted and unavailable unless you are physically present and know the password. I also may just be describing basic functions of FOAM.

If I’m not totally daft, I believe this could be a great second layer to personal privacy, as it allows you an invisible, yet weirdly physical lockbox for sensitive data that will “stay” in a particular location - or at least function as if it does.

As far as some weirder uses, I could imagine wanting to create entangled locations - channels which only open when two people/devices are within specific geo-fenced locations. If I really wander off of into the 9th dimension, I dream about some odd cousin to quantum key distribution that collapses when any nefarious entity attempts to observe from any location outside the entangled locations.

Again, I’m on the moon over here and only know enough CS to be dangerous to myself.

yeah, this is completely on point.

There was a post recently about resetting your password by going to different secret locations only you know.

I have google alerts for foam blockchain and found a project claiming to be building on foam

• The Poneglyph Project intends to build an app using the FOAM Protocol in conjunction with a decentralized storage service in order to give individuals the ability to place a file in a chosen location anywhere on earth. n order to download the information, the download device’s location must be verified to be within the designated download area. A simple idea that will be treated as a novelty and dismissed until it’s significance is realized.

I believe that ‘CrytoKitties’ is a definite non-starter for FOAM. This was a flash in the pan, just like beanie babies and I think this is played out. Daily active users is a definitive metric to watch.

If you’re soliciting the community for ideas, I’d like to see some progress on implementation first. A quick survey of the public FOAM Github seems like it is stagnant since Q4 of 2018:

I originally became interested in FOAM based on the efforts of the team on PureScript and chanterelle. At this point if you are not building an app that leverages FOAM, than you should be doubling down on making the Development tools for FOAM world-class, this means, well documented, and accessible.

What this project screams for is something like what Apple has offered, but for the Web3 development framework: Apple mapkitjs. I’d also like to see a Bounty, or development funding effort funded by the reserved tokens. We have an early mover advantage, lets keep that inertia going! If you are not soliciting cryptodev’s to work on your project for FOAM, it makes me wonder what value FOAM has in the longer term.

As an exercise, any application that requires location, to, from, or travel times is applicable for a FOAM app.

An Airbnb type application for accommodation could deliver discounted stays based on where the user is right now, think HotelTonight, or Priceline and with a smart contract to eliminate credit card processing. Both the guest and host could receive time-locked FOAM for redemption at a future time. This would be analogous to air-miles, that could be redeemed for services. Just one big virtuous consumer cycle, the consumer can accumulate FOAM for future travel and the FOAM market can see that these FOAM are spendable in a future transaction based on the contract conversion.

See that was easy, but it requires development now. Who’s going to do that? There is already a bitcoin airbnb: https://www.cryptocribs.com/ what’s missing is the value that dPOL brings to the table. (locks that can only unlock when the guest is in the locale for instance? Often a host will give a PIN code out for an accommodation, this could instead be moderated via a smart contract and FOAM)

To sum up, the core team should provide guidance on what they are providing for the improvement going forward. Ideas are great, and they need support to make them happen. If the core development team cannot work on applications, there must be incentive (bounties), or adequate development resources provided for the community to use FOAM in dapp projects.

This answer resonates with me and my team so much.

Let me tell you the plain simple truth. A better question would be what is the moment where FOAM reaches Product/Market fit ? This is what lies behind this CryptoKitty comparison, because of course FOAM doesn’t want to have spike in usage like CryptoKitty to then go to 0. Talking about Product/Market fit would be interesting and more serious question. My answer is there is no CryptoKitty moment for FOAM there is just a need to change your market strategy and understand that a build it and they will come approach will get the protocol nowhere.

We had solid plans to build on FOAM but we received some bad signals from the team in the way they communicate and consider their go to market strategy. I am sorry to say it this way by being straightforward but this is honest and useful feedback.
We decided not to build anything on FOAM because the team gives no update, doesn’t even answer question on discourse about roadmap (imagine the bad signal it sends for people - general public and token holders), we have no clue how the funds are used, and the list goes on.
For example when the only thing we know is that a research paper will be published in Q1 I mean this is seriously the only thing the team has to communicate? For a big project and vision imagine what signal this sends to people, there is a huge discrepancy.

Now regarding this post in particular, there has already been post like this on discourse and this is nothing but wishful thinking, like “yeah FOAM will challenge GPS” “yeah FOAM is a revolution everything is possible with FOAM”… I agree strongly that there needs to be improvements shown because since more than 1 month there is absolutely nothing that has been shared. Results are everything, but so far static proof of location is not used daily, and dynamic proof of location seems like far far away.

It can not get anymore explicit. The team is not meeting expectations that developers have for launching independent development efforts. Absent a functional bounty effort offered by foam.space ASAP this project is going to die a slow painful death.

Care to share what your project is and what poor communication you received?

I think you are missing the point. Soliciting ‘ideas’ for FOAM is a moot point if the team is not responsive to developer needs. I see no reason that a developer should explain what their idea is before launch. That is why Start-Ups have “Stealthmode”.

At the minimum we need a roadmap for FOAM in 2019, that it wasn’t published at the beginning of this month can be considered sloppy on the team’s part. I would accept that a Roadmap, with milestones should be deliverable no later than February 15th. If they are not forthcoming on this point, I would add this to their unresponsiveness.

Video hangouts do not count. Write it down. Now.

Indeed, he’s totally missing the point. I mean their poor communication and lack of attention to people that interacts with them should be obvious. I don’t even understand that this question can be asked when there is literally no update since end of proof of use, no words from the team, telegram closed no answers to the questions on discourse. I mean there are bad signals everywhere.

I also saw a tweets from a guy who is mad at FOAM on twitter who said that millions of FOAM tokens have been distributed from the team multisig wallet and dumped on Poloniex. I’ve checked and indeed millions of FOAM tokens went from multisig wallet to Poloniex. And people who gave their money still have no clue how it is used. I mean, it becomes very urgent that the team understands that this attitude is dangerous and starts really to change its method. What I’m very worried about is that the team doesn’t seem to understand, I think they might have some problems with development or they might think the have to focus on building first before interacting with people. Just thinking and trying to find answers since the team doesn’t give any.

I mean I don’t know, we don’t know, but to be honest I’m worried and as I said we won’t develop with my team and the single fact that you were curious enough to ask the question to know more instead of the team answering to me to know more tells everything. I mean it answers your question @tvanepps

I asked the question 5 days ago. 5 days. No answer. I don’t know what to say anymore.

Remember 0x guys, they understood they had to help and make it easy for devs from day 1. They had leads and solid teams developing on top of their protocol right from the beginning. There is much to be learned from them in how they onboard the devs developing on top of them. They would have certainly never neglected to engage in a discussion with someone interested to build with their protocol…

As we release more parts of FOAM on our developer platform it will be easier for teams to directly use our protocols and standards in their development. 0x is a great example. See Ryans recent post for an update regarding the developer platform:

The FOAM Developer Portal (https://f-o-a-m.github.io/foam.developer/ ) is the site where developers can find information about integrating the FOAM Spatial Index into their applications. Previously the portal contained information related to our Rinkeby-backed, beta application (https://beta.foam.space/ ), but now that the mainnet application has reached a 1.0 version we are proud to soon replace this with our current documentation. This release is planned for the middle of next week.

The developer portal documents things such as:

1. Swagger documentation of our REST API endpoints and their intended uses.
  2. The ability to test these endpoints in the browser.
  3. Documentation on all FOAM websocket subscriptions for live notifications.
  4. Documentation about how the FOAM map works, including information about the smart contracts and the role of the FOAM services.

We also look forward to extending the portal with example integrations as developers begin building on top of the FOAM platform. For instance, we have been partnering with the analytics company Blocklytics (https://blocklytics.org/ ) to provide our users with email updates relating new POIs, challenges, and global statistics about the foam map.

To the points raised by @yinzeus @cryptographer. The example of crypto-kitties was taken from the article, which makes an argument for a 2019 of user focus, with more initiatives on top of the protocols that have been developed and tested in 2018. This we agree with strongly.

You can read more about our achievements and next steps in the post linked above. Regarding the late answer to @cryptographer original question, thats on me. I wanted to wait until Ryans update was published rather than giving a “news soon” answer. If you are still interested in building on FOAM and want to jump on a call with me or someone from the team please mail me directly at arthur@foam.space or DM me and we will set something up.

I found this article relevant to the discussion and relevant to FOAM: Why ‘Mainstream Adoption’ Is an Unfair Success Metric for Dapps

The prophesied inflection point of “mainstream adoption” for dapps feels incredibly distant. However, I would argue that this level of froth is to be expected and that we are way too early for “mainstream adoption” to be a sensible success metric for dapps.

There is a common thread in all of this. Speculators expect too much too quickly, bad actors rush in to take advantage of this, people sour on the technology after market crashes, and this underlying technology does eventually change the world in profound ways — even if it doesn’t make every impatient speculator rich.

Something to keep in mind is that we are competing with the legacy internet, computer applications and financial infrastructure all while trying to launch a grand, fragile economic experiment.

We should remember that it took decades for automobiles and tractors to overtake horses. This may seem surprising today, but if you consider that early drivers had to contend with a complete lack of supporting infrastructure, it becomes easier to understand. I would liken the current state of blockchain to before the beginning of the dot-com boom, placing us in the 1980s rather than the 1990s. We are still in an infrastructure building phase.

We are not ready for mainstream adoption. Everyone knows that the “layer-one” of public blockchains badly needs to scale. Developers are running into the current limits of blockchain and shifting focus to layer 2 and off-chain solutions.

I predict we will see the terms “Web3” and “decentralized web” more and more in 2019.

Even the dominant narratives about bitcoin and ether — bitcoin being a store of value akin to digital gold, and ether paying for the gas required to use a decentralized world computer — are not universally accepted by researchers.

It will be an ongoing challenge for projects to demonstrate a model that supports the price of their token that is rooted in utility instead of speculation. A dapp token claiming to be like bitcoin’s digital gold or ether’s gas should face extreme scrutiny. Tokens have
tremendous potential to incentivize growth and good behavior. We need to figure this out.

The good news is, there are tons of smart and motivated people quietly working on all of these problems. Testing new economic models and improving the base infrastructure that supports billions of dollars in value takes time.

Be Patient

Finally, we must learn to separate price movements from underlying fundamentals. High prices don’t mean that a blockchain revolution is imminent and low prices don’t mean that the technology is doomed. Things aren’t going to look like what we expected when everyone was drunk off 100x returns, at least not anytime soon.

It will take a while for this technology to mature, but the underlying fundamentals are strong.

The amount of smart contract computations on Ethereum is nearly the same as it was during the beginning of the year, when prices were at all-time highs. This year has seen hundreds of thousands of GitHub commits to blockchain projects and developer tool downloads. Blockchain offers open platforms with novel economic incentives for developers, which will win their hearts and minds in the long-run.

A herd of builders is coming, laying the foundation for mainstream adoption in the future. When this inflection point hits, it will be hugely disruptive. There are going to be applications and use cases we never dreamed of. The world will be transformed by blockchain technology and decentralization.

We just need a little patience.