What is signaling?

I don’t speak English well.

So I didn’t fully understand what was in the explanation.

I have four questions.

1. Can you easily tell me why signaling is necessary in the map?

2. Is there a correlation between the amount of the token being steaked and the radius?

3. Is signaling permanent unless I remove?

4. What kind of rewards can I get if I set up signing?

I just installed 3 signaling in a triangle.

Each signaling has 3,000 tokens staked and has a radius of 3km to 5km.

To ask you a different question, are people all stacking? It’s not easy to get a token at the exchange. Due to the small quantity, the price changes are very large…

Thank you!

Hey @rjcutter!

1. Can you easily tell me why signaling is necessary in the map?
Signaling is a designed to allow Cartographers to incentivize the growth and geographic coverage of the FOAM network. In the context of the Dynamic Proof of Location utility these indicators are the weighted references that determine the spatial mining rewards.

Basically think of it this way.
If you know how Bitcoin Mining works by carrying out Proof of Work and how they have block rewards determine mathematically,
Its the same with FOAM, in FOAM Mining, users will use Hardware (Beacons) to carry out Proof of Location. The rewards for those are determined by Signaling

The potential rewards for a signaler are linked to that of the miners. Signals are effectively acting as indicators to where the most number of transactions are happening, and the FOAM protocol allocates a direct ratio reward based on length of signal and accuracy.

2. Is there a correlation between the amount of the token being staked and the radius?
Yes there is ! The signal weight is defined by three components: radius, token stake and age.

The radius defines the area of coverage you want your Signal to affect, but the token stake effects attenuation. This means you can signal in a small area with a lot of tokens to have a very densely weighted signal, or choose a larger radius with the same amount of tokens to spread out the impact of the staked tokens.

This is shown in the current stage of the UI by opacity of the radius. The more staked the more filled in and intense the circle appears. It is like adding color dye to water. The container of the water determines the radius and the amount of die influences the strength of the “signal”. If the container (radius) was made larger without adding more dye the “signal” would be weaker but cover more area.

3. Is signaling permanent unless I remove?
Yes. Only you can remove your Signals and there are no risks of Challenges like in POIs, Also the Signal Age accounts in the weightage as well.

4. What kind of rewards can I get if I set up signing?
There is likely to be a portion of block rewards for Signals. Akin to participating in a survey and answering correctly. Indirectly you can obtain rewards by mining

I’d recommend reading this blog post which goes into more detail on how we see incentivising on the FOAM Map

And this great short video