In the last workshop, I suggested we look for metrics to judge whether or not we needed to adjust governance parameters. At the time, no one had a suggestion for a parameter that needed to be changed. Regardless, we may choose this time to identify the underlying reasons to change a parameter and what will be measured to determine if the changes are necessary and/or are working as intended.
With that in mind, I propose the following draft of Goals and Metrics looking for your feedback. It would be ideal to come to some consensus on what we think the goal of each parameter is and how we want to keep track of it. We don’t necessarily have to agree on what the targets are for each metric at this stage, but those suggestions are certainly welcome as well.
- Description: the number of tokens a candidate must lock as a deposit for their application, and for the duration of their listing thereafter.
- Goal: Make challenges worth the effort (in time, gas and risk) such that all points are curated, being mindful to not discourages POI creation.
- Metric: Cost of new points and challenges (theoretical gas spend based on recent gas prices).
- Description: The duration, in blocks or epoch time, during which an application can be challenged. If this period passes with no challenge being issued, the candidate becomes a listee.
- Goal: Highlight new points (and lock their deposit) such that there is time for the points to be curated and spam can be combatted.
- Metric: Ratio of new points challenged during application stage vs after the application stage.
- Description: The duration, in blocks or epoch time, during which token holders can commit votes for a particular challenge.
- Goal: Give voters enough time to cast their votes and maximize the number of voters participating while resolving challenges in a reasonable time frame.
- Metric: Ratio of challenges a reasonably active FOAM user (based on on-chain activity) could have voted on.
- Description: The duration, in blocks or epoch time, during which token holders can reveal committed votes for a particular challenge.
- Goal: Give voters enough time to reveal their votes while resolving challenges in a reasonable time frame.
- Metric: Ratio of challenges that could have ended early due to having 100% of votes revealed.
- Description: The percentage of the forfeited deposit in a challenge which is awarded to the winning party as a special dispensation compensating for their capital risk.
- Goal: Give challengers incentive to stake a challenge deposit & voters incentive to participate.
- Metric: Voter participation (based on tokens), Cost of challenges, Cost of votes
- Description: The percentage of tokens out of the total tokens revealed in favor of admitting/keeping a challenged candidate necessary for that candidate to get/keep listee status. The VOTE_QUORUM does not count non-voting tokens, and unrevealed tokens are considered non-voting.
- Goal: Adjust the difficulty of challenges.
- Metric: Challenge success rate.